On this page you will find an overview of all options from the settings dialog of the FileRenamer with an explanation of the respective function. You reach the dialog described here via the "Settings" menu. An explanation of the functions of other program parts of the FileRenamer can be found in the function overview.
- General > File Extension > Treat File Name and File Extension independent from each other: If this option is activated, independent options for the name and the ending of the file are provided in the main window under "Changes". This enables you to edit the name and the ending of a file independently of each another. If the option is not activated, the options for changing the file extension are not shown and the name is processed with the ending as a whole.
- General > File Extension > File Extension starts at last/first Dot in File Name: Depending on which option is activated here, the file extension is cut off at another point in the file name if the file name contains more than one point. Accordingly, depending on the choice of the option, the file "file.ab.cd" would either be interpreted as a name of "file.ab" and as an ending of "cd" or as a name of "file" and as an ending of "ab.cd".
- General > Columns > Configure Columns: Here you can determine which columns should be displayed in the file list in the main window. Check or uncheck the corresponding column option in order to show or hide the columns.
- General > Columns > Automatically show columns used in the changes: If this option is activated, the columns of the file properties that you have activated for change under "Changes > Attributes" (for example the respective columns for the file dates), will automatically be displayed in the file list, even if these columns are not selected for display via the function "Configure Columns". If this option is not activated, only the configured columns are shown.
- Numbering: On this tab you can find all settings regarding the numbering of files and folders.
- Numbering > Numbering: In this area you can find the configuration for the placeholders for numbering files (%num%, %0num%, %00num% and so on), which can be used in any text field of the FileRenamer. It is possible to determine with which value the counting should start (Initial Value), how much it should be counted up or down with each new file (Increment) and whether leading zeros should be used (Fixed Length with Leading Zeros). You can also set whether the numbering should be reset with every new folder or not. A detailed explanation of these fields and options as well as some application examples can be found in the tutorial about the numbering of files using the FileRenamer.
- Numbering > Same-Named Files: In this area you can find the configuration for the automatic numbering of files and folders that may be necessary if renamings would lead to multiple files or folders of the same name. First of all, you can determine here whether in this case it should be numbered or whether the FileRenamer should instead issue a warning message without doing any renaming. Additionally, you can determine how the number should be written into the file name (Mask), you can configure the Initial Value, the Increment per file as well as the used leading zeros and you can control the preview function for files and folders of the same name. A detailed explanation of this function as well as the fields and options mentioned here, including some application examples, can be found in the tutorial about the numbering of files with the FileRenamer in the section Numbering of Same-Named Files.
- System Integration: Here you can find some settings for linking files with the FileRenamer or for configuring the Auto Start settings. You can find more information about that in the help section about System Integration.
- Language (Menu "Language Settings"): Here you can change the language of the application. With the button "Save language" you can save your chosen language, otherwise the program will start if possible with the language of your operating system. More information about the language settings of the FileRenamer can be found here. If the FileRenamer has not yet been translated into your preferred language, you are welcome to help with the translation.
- Save (Menu "Save or Load Settings"): Here you can find ways to save the current settings, to set startup preferences, or to create profiles for settings. You will also find the storage options here and you can delete existing saved settings. More information and a description of the functions can be found on the page about saving settings.