Old Function Overview
On this page, you can find a list of the functions of and old version of PrintMyFonts.
Here you can find a list of functions of the current version.
In this list you can find all functions of the tool Print My Fonts. The functions are ordered by the occurrence in the software. If you want to get an introduction to the software, please go to the help section.
The main window is divided into several sections. On the left, you can see the font list with all the fonts currently loaded. On the left there are some settings and a preview and at the bottom, you can find a box with the output string and the button to start the output. The areas and buttons are explained in more detail in the following.
- List on the left side: This list will show all the fonts that are currently installed on your computer after starting the software. All fonts currently in the list are printed, so if you would like to make a selection, you have to remove the unneeded fonts from the font list, which can be made by using the DEL - key on your keyboard. If you hold down the button for the capital letters and continue with the Arrow Down button, you can also select multiple fonts at the same time to delete them after that. If you right click on the list, you can delete all fonts that are selected or you can delete all fonts that are currently not selected. So it is possible to shrink the font list.
- Show installed System Fonts: With this option you can activate or deactivate the display of the installed fonts of your computer in the font list.
- Show Fonts from this Folder or Drive: With this option you can activate or deactivate the display of fonts that are not installed on your computer. In the small box under this option, you have to specify a folder or drive, from that you want to show the fonts and in which the font files are saved.Use the button "Open" to select a folder from your computer. The selected folder with its subfolders is searched for files in the formats ttf, otf, fon, fnt, fot, ttc, mmm, pfb and pfm. These are the font file formats supported by PrintMyFonts. An overview over all of these file types can be found on the page formats. It is your choice whether you want to show the file path, the file name and/or the name of the font in your list. Go to the menu "Tool > Advanced Settings" to make your decision.
- Preview: This box can be used to instantly get an overview of how a particular font looks like. Just type a few letters into the box and click on a font in the list on the left next to it. After that, the letters ar displayed in this font. Note that for printing and exporting the text of the box is not used but the text in the large box at the bottom of the main window.
- Preview > Show larger Box for Font Preview: If the small preview box in the main window is not large enough for your purposes, you can show or hide a larger font preview box in a new window with this option. Also in this box, you can display arbitrary sentences and characters. Furthermore, you can change the font size and font style above the box, so thet you can also compare these differences.
- Preview > Show Font Preview in List: If you select this option, the fonts displayed in the list are displayed in the respective font so that you can immediately see in the list how a font looks like. If the option is not selected, the fonts are displayed in the normal system font.
- Printer or other Output Format: In this box you can specify, in what format the output should be processed. The setting Standard Printer means that the output will be printed on the normal default printer. Alternatively, you can use a different printer, such as a PDF printer like PDF Creator or select to output the list as an image file in JPG, GIF, or BMP format. Thus it is possible to produce an image file with the respective fonts directly. Also an export as Microsoft Word® Document is possible. Therefore, Word must be installed on your computer. After creating a font list with this option, Word® is openend with the font list, so that you can save the font list with Word in an arbitrary format like DOC or DOCX. Use the option "Printer Dialog with Options" to show the standard printer dialog. In this dialog, you can select a printer and you can set some other options like the printed pages or functions provided by your printer.
- Long box at the bottom of the main window: In this box, the sentence, which is used as the output string, when you click on "Export", can be specified. In the box, a few sets are available, but you can also use something else, simply type some phrases or characters in this box. Among other things, in the box there are already phrases with Cyrillic, Greek, Georgian, Chinese and other Unicode characters and some special characters, so that you can see if such characters are present in your fonts and what these characters look like.
- Export: Click this button to start the output. The output is always based on the fonts that are currently available in the font list and as the string that is printed, the phrase in the long box in the lower part of the main window is used. The output can be done via the default printer (Standard Printer), via another printer or as an image file. That can be determined in the box "Printers and other Output Format." Some other settings, which are explained below, are also available in the menu under "Tool > Advanced Settings".
- Tool > Export: With this menu item, it happens the same as if you click on the "Export" in the main window.
- Tool > Show larger Box for Font Preview: A new window is shown, in which you can see a preview of your selected font. You can resize this window as you want and you can change the font size and font style (bold, italic, underlined) of the selected font above. You can write or copy arbitrary texts and characters in the box.
- Tool > Advanced Settings: Here you will find some advanced settings that relate to the output. You can specify whether the fonts should be numbered, if the name of the font and/or the directory and file name of the fonts should be printed, and what characters (including Unicode) are intended as a spacer between the items. In the center, you can specify the size of the font (especially when creating an image, a larger font can be an advantage) and whether the font should be printed in italics or bold. Last, the character spacing and the distances from the left, the top and the bottom can be specified. In general, these settings should be maintained, only when it comes to undesired results, they should be changed. With the orientation option, you can specify whether the fonts should be printed in landscape or portrait format. This option only applies to printed documents.
- Tool > Advanced Settings > Font Name in Standard Font: This option makes it possible to show the name of the font in a standard font instead of the font of the font probe. So you can read the name of the fonts, even if the font only consists of symbols or other unreadable characters.
- Tool > Color and Size of Font Preview: You can choose which color and which font style (font size, italic, bold...) should be used in the preview. Thus, for example, it is also possible to look for the style of bold or italic fonts.
- Tool > Language: Changes the language of the software.
- Tool > Close: Exits the font printer.
- Font List > Load Fonts: Loads all the fonts on your system or a selected folder to the font list again. This feature can be used if you wish to have the fonts back into the list, you have deleted before. If you want to add fonts from a folder, you have to specify this folder in the main window under "Show Fonts from this Folder:".
- Font List > Show installed System Fonts: With this option activated, in the font list all of your fonts installed on your system are displayed.
- Font List > Show Fonts from Folder or Drive: With this option activated, you can list and print fonts from an arbitrary folder or drive, which must not be installed on your computer. The folder must be specified in the main window.
- Font List > Delete selected Elements from List (DEL): Deletes the item or items from the list, that are currently selected. This makes it possible to create an output of only a selection of fonts.
- Font List > Delete not-selected Elements from List (CTRL+DEL): This function makes it possible to delete all fonts from your list that are currently not selected. Sometimes it is easier to go this way than the other one.
- Font List > View Font Preview in List: Enables or disables the preview of the appearance of the font in the font list itself.
- Other Software: Here you will find a selection of other software that may be of interest to you. You can go directly to the website where you can download the appropriate software.
- Information: Here you can find important links for the software, such as the online help and you can get other important information for the license and the program and a little help section.