On this page, you can find a description of all functions that are available in Faster Files. The functions are ordered by their appearance within the application. For a short introduction to the program and for a step-by-step guidance for creating HotKeys, Action Lists and Actions, please have a look at the introduction page.
The functions are grouped by the following topics:
If you have not yet created a HotKey, the main window is quite empty and only contains an introduction text as well as the possibility to create your first HotKey.
As soon as you have created your first HotKeys, Action Lists and Actions, the main window is divided into three parts: on the left you can find a list of your created HotKeys, in the middle the Action Lists of the HotKey that is currently selected and on the right side, you can find the Actions that are assigned to the Action List that is selected at the moment.
- HotKeys: In this box, all HotKeys that have been created are listed. Inactive HotKeys are displayed grayed out. In order to edit a HotKey, right click on the item and select "Edit". To delete a HotKey, take "Delete" from the context menu. Select a HotKey for displaying all assigned Action Lists and Actions. In the menu "Settings > General", you can specify how the HotKeys should be sorted in the list.
- New HotKey: Opens the window for creating a new HotKey. Here you can find a description.
- Action Lists: If you have selected a HotKey from the left side of the application, the Action Lists assigned to this HotKey will be displayed in this list. The order of the Action Lists can be changed with your mouse by moving the items. If you have determined the settings of the corresponding HotKey that Action Lists of this HotKey can also be arranged using folders, you can create such folders by moving one Action List onto another one. With using the right mouse button, you can show the context menu. From this menu, you can edit, delete or export the Action Lists as file. The exported file can for example be used for batch commands and batch processing FasterFiles.
- New Action List: Creates a new Action List for the currently selected HotKey. More about that here.
- Actions: If you have selected an Action List in the application, the assigned actions will be displayed in this list. The order of the actions can be changed with moving the items with the mouse. With clicking an action using the right mouse button, you can open the context menu. From here, you can edit, delete, copy or paste actions. With the commands for copying and pasting (you can also use the keyboard shortcuts CTRL+C and CTRL+V), you can dublicate actions or you can copy them into other lists.
- Add Action: Creates a new Action in the Action List currently selected. See here for an overview.
Here you can find an explanation of the main window menu.
- File > New HotKey: Opens the window for creating a new HotKey. Here you can find a description.
- File > Exit: Closes Faster Files.
- Settings: The settings are explained in the section settings.
- Software: Here you can find information about other software.
- Information: Here you can find some links regarding the software, such as the online help and you can get other information for the license and the program and a little help section.
You can show the settings via the menu "Settings" from the main window.
- General > HotKeys: With the options "Order HotKeys by name" and "Order HotKeys by key combination", you can specify in which order the HotKeys should be listed in the main window.
- General > Actions > Show Actions as description: If this option is activated, all actions will be displayed in the specified language of the application. If this option is disabled, the general constant of the action will be shown instead, that is also used for storage. For example, either "CREATE_DIR" or "Create Folder" can be displayed.
- General > Actions > Stop executing Action List after first error: If this option is activated, the execution of an Action List will be canceled as soon as the first error occurs. For example in case that a required file could not be found. If the option is not active, FasterFiles will try to continue executing the action list if possible, for example by skipping the file that was not found.
- General > Actions > Try to create folders if they are required but not existing: If this option is active, required folders will be created automatically by FasterFiles. For example, if the folder C:\Test is specified as target folder but this folder is not existing. If that option is not activated and necessary folder is not present, an error message will be displayed and under circumstances, the action list will be canceled.
- General > Error Messages > Show error message if HotKey could not be registered: If this option is active, an error message will be shown, if a HotKey said to registered. This can happen, for example, if the necessary key combination is already in use by some other application. When this option is deactivated, the corresponding HotKey is set inactive and you will not get a message about that.
- General > Error Messages > Show error message if parameters are erroneous: Parameters have to follow a specific syntax internally. For example, when copying a file, the file as well as the target folder must be known in order to properly perform the action. If such an information is missing, the parameter is erroneous. With this option, you can controll whether an error message should be displayed in such a case or if FasterFiles should try to ignore it.
- General > Error Messages > Show error message if placeholders are empty: In action lists, some placeholders can be used. Placeholders can stand for the last file or the last folder, for example. If there has not yet been processed a file or a folder within an action list, the corresponding placeholders are empty. If an action of the action list is nevertheless using such empty placeholder, this option determines whether this case should be ignored or should be displayed as an error message.
- General > Error Messages > Show error message if files or folders could not be found: Actions that are accessing files or folders such as actions for opening, moving, copying or further processing files or folders rely on that the corresponding files and folders are existing on the system. If not, this option determines whether an error message should be displayed in this case or not.
- General > Error Messages > Show error message if file operations could not be performed: File operations are something like copying, moving or deleting a file or a folder, for example. If this option is activated, an error message to be displayed in the case that such an operation fails. If not, the error will be ignored.
- General > Error Messages > Show detailed error report: If this option is activated and an error occurs during executing an action list, a detailed error report will be shown after execution if needed. This report for example contains information about which files could not be copied or deleted concretely.
- HotKey Window > Position: Here you can specify, at which position the HotKey windows should appear if the corresponding key combination is pressed and the HotKey is consisting of multiple action lists. On the one hand, the window can always displayed at the screen center or directly at the position at which there is currently the mouse cursor.
- HotKey Window > Size: Here you can determine the width and height of the HotKey window. The line height indicates the height of an entry for an action list in the selection dialog. Using the option "Adjust window width to space required by the items (minimum is the width specified under "width")" you can specify that the HotKey window should automatically increase its width in case that entries are longer than the width specified under "width". However, the window will never be smaller than the width specified under "width". With the option "Adjust window height to space required by the items (maximum is the height specified under "height")", you can determine that the HotKey window should decrease its height whenever the entries of the selected HotKey are not that much to fill the entire height of the list. However, if the height of all entries should be higher than the height specified under "height", the window should no longer become higher.
- HotKey Window > Options > Show Target Folder only if necessary: If multiple Explorer windows are opened, the corresponding paths will be offered as target folder for the selected action list in the HotKey window. If only one target folder is open or if none of the displayed action lists is referring to the target folder, the display of this box is actually not necessary or required. With this option, you can specify whether the target folder box should nevertheless be displayed in all cases or only in the case if there is indeed the need from a corresponding action list.
- HotKey Window > Options > Center Text: If this option is activated, the text in the HotKey window will be centered. Otherwise, the text will be left aligned.
- HotKey Storage > Storage Locations for HotKeys: FasterFiles allows storing HotKeys at different locations (simultaneously) on your computer and nevertheless is able to display all HotKeys combined in one list in the program. With this, it is possible, for example, to save some common or general HotKeys in the network while other individual HotKeys are stored on the local computer. In the section "Storage Locations for HotKeys", you can determine which directorys should be used for saving. Check the option "Application Directory" for saving the HotKeys in the directory of FasterFiles or specify an arbitrary number of other folders under "Other Directories". Multiple directorys can be separated by the character | from each other. When starting FasterFiles, the program is searching all locations specified here for HotKeys to make them available in the program. When creating a new HotKey and multiple directories are specified at this point, you can select the storage location from a list of all of those directorys.
- HotKey Storage > Options: In the storage options, you can determine in which way the HotKeys should be stored on your computer. It is possible to save all HotKeys in a single file or you can specify that each HotKey should be stored in an individual new file. The second possibility especially makes sense when you are often sharing HotKey files between several computers. In this case, you can just copy the appropriate file to do so. When storing to individual files, you can additionally determine at this place whether the key combination or the name of the HotKey should be used as file name.
- HotKey Storage > Options > Show Storage Location of HotKeys: With this option, you can determine whether the source file of a HotKey should be displayed or not when selecting a HotKey in the main window. If this option is activated, the file path and filename of the HotKey will be shown at the upper right of the main window, if disabled, this information is hidden.
- System Integration: Here you can find some settings for linking files with the program or for configuring the Auto Start. You can find more information about that in the help section about System Integration.
- Language: Here you can change the language of the FileRenamer. With the button "Save Language", you can store the selected language, otherwise, the program is trying to start with the language of your operating system. If your desired language is not available, you can gladly help to translate.
- Save: Here you can save your settings or the profiles for your settings. More information about this, you get on the information page about storing settings.